You can add or edit the PDF if the information in the PDF is incomplete or missing. Writing on PDF files is convenient but not as easy as other document formats. PDF files are designed in such a way that doesn’t allows them to be altered or edited.
Workarounds to this issue need editing tools capable of writing in PDF format. If you want to write on a PDF file from your PC or your mobile device, we have listed some of the easiest ways to do it below.
How to Write on a PDF on PC?
There are multiple ways to write on a PDF on a PC. First, you will need some editing tools. You can either use the built-in tool on your computer or can rely on online editors.
The built-in tools do not require an internet connection or uploading PDF files to the cloud. However, you must upload your file to a cloud drive to edit via an online editor.
Microsoft Word provides a feature that lets you convert PDF files into Word files. After converting the PDF into Word, you can write on it like on a normal Word file. After making changes, you can then export it back into PDF format.
Before proceeding, ensure that you have the latest version of Microsoft Office installed on your PC.
- Launch Microsoft Word.
- Drag the PDF file to the Microsoft Word window to convert it into a Word file.
- Click on the document to add text to the Word file.
- After making changes, Click on File.
- Click on Save as and select a Save location.
- Click the PDF option from the file type dropdown.
- Hit Save.
Preview For Mac
Mac users have an inbuilt Preview feature similar to PC, which lets them write on PDF files.
- Hold the Control button and click on the PDF file.
- Expand Open With and select Preview.
- Click the Pen icon beside the search bar to view the markup tools.
- Click the T icon to add a textbox. Type text in the textbox.
- Press Command + S to save the file.
Microsoft Edge comes pre-installed in Windows. Besides browsing the internet, Edge is also the default application to open and edit PDF files on Windows. If your Edge lacks the feature of PDF editing, you should update it to its latest version.
- Open the PDF file in Microsoft Edge.
- Click the Add text option from the menu bar to write text on the PDF. You can click on the Draw tool to manually write on the PDF file.
- Press Ctrl + S to save changes on the PDF file. You can also save the changes by clicking on the Save icon.
Google Drive is a great alternative to PDF editor tools. It works by converting your PDF file into Google Docs. Then, after you’ve made changes to the file, you can download it as a PDF file. You should note that during the conversion process, you will lose some formatting and elements from the original file.
This method requires the PDF file to be present on your Google Drive. So, if you have stored the file on your local computer, upload it on your Google Drive.
- Open Google Drive on the web browser.
- Click the + New button and select File Upload.
- Locate the PDF file and double-click on it to upload it on Google Drive.
- Right-click on the PDF file in Google Drive and expand the Open With option.
- Select Google Docs. You can now write on the document to make changes.
- Click on File.
- Expand Download and select PDF Document.
- Choose a save location and hit the Save button.
Aside from Google Drive, there are other online editor tools that can write on PDF files as well. Drawboard PDF is a great example of an online PDF editor. It is an easy-to-use tool with a clean interface which makes writing on PDF simple.
- Open Drawboard on your web browser.
- Select Open from device.
- Navigate to the location and double-click the file you wish to upload.
- Click the + icon on the right toolbar.
- Switch to the Insert tab.
- Click the + icon above the text.
- Click on the text icon to select the tool.
- Click and drag on any area of the document to make a selection for entering texts.
- After making changes, click the Download icon on the left toolbar.
- Name the document and hit Save.
How to Write on a PDF on Mobile?
Just like on PC, there are many options you can use to write on a PDF file on mobile devices. However, for the sake of simplicity, we have only listed a couple of easy-to-follow methods for Android and iOS devices.
You can write on the PDF with the File editor tool for Android, but editor tools can differ between manufacturers. For this guide, we have taken a Samsung device.
- Open My Files.
- Navigate to the PDF file and open the file with the PDF reader.
- Tap on the edit icon at the top.
- The pen tool is selected by default. You can drag on the file to manually write on it.
- To insert text, tap the A icon. Tap and hold on the file until a menu pops up.
- Select Add text box and type in some text.
- Press Save.
For iOS, you can use the built-in markup tool to write on PDF.
- Launch the Files application.
- Open the PDF file you wish to write on.
- Tap on the markup icon at the top right corner.
- Press the + icon beside the color wheel icon at the bottom and select Text.
- Tap on the Text Box to edit. You can also resize and reposition the text by dragging it around the document.
- Tap on Done.