TikTok only allows users above the age of 13 to use their platform. In 2021, TikTok implemented a rule that users below the age of sixteen can only have a private account. Once your age has been set, you cannot change your birth date directly from the app.
But, if there was a mistake in your birth year leading to a wrong age, you can contact TikTok to change your age.
How to Change Your Age on TikTok?
You can delete your TikTok account and create a new one if you accidentally entered the wrong birth year. However, you will lose all your content, drafts, and your data if you do so. This article discusses another way to change your age on TikTok without losing your current account.
You can submit a report to TikTok saying that your birth date is wrong. TikTok will then ask for identification to prove your age. Please note that this process can take some time.
Follow these steps to submit a report to change your birth date.
- Open the TikTok app.
- Click on your profile at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Click on the three horizontal lines at the top right corner.
- Go to Settings and privacy.
- Click on Report a problem.
- Scroll down and select Submit a report.
- State why you want to change your birth date and press the Submit button.
Note: You will receive an email after a few days asking for proof to verify your birth date. You will have to use a valid government ID for this. TikTok will change your age only after you send this document.