When you use multiple objects in a slide, it can scatter when you resize or move. To prevent that from happening, you can group the scattered elements together.
To group objects in Google Slides either use the Shortcut key or the Group option in the Arrange tab.
For grouping images with texts, insert the Text box inside the image and click on the Group option.
Group Objects/Shapes on Google Slides
In slides with multiple elements, grouping makes it easier to hold, move, or resize them. Here are the steps:
- Select the objects that you want to group.
- Click and drag along the objects until you see a blue bar. Or press
Ctrland click each one individually.
- Right-click on the selected object.
- Choose Group from the list of options.
- You can also group by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+G. Once grouped, you can freely move the objects as a unit.
Alternatively, you can also group using the Arrange tab.
- Select the sections that you want to group.
- Click on the Arrange tab.
- Select Group. The change will automatically save.
Group Image and Text Together on Google Slides
You can also put images and text together to ensure it acts like one. This will help to keep formatting intact while resizing and editing.
- Go to the Insert tab and select Text box.
- Draw a text box on the slide. Type the desired text.
- Drag the text box to the place where you want to put the text.
- Select text and hold the
Ctrlbutton, then select an image.
- Right-click and select Group.
Can’t Group Items in Google Slides?
If the Group option is greyed out in Google Slides, you probably haven’t selected multiple objects. Thus, remember to hold the shift key while clicking to select the objects, or else only the last clicked will be selected.
You will also be unable to group items that are already grouped. Besides, users cannot group elements from different slides together, only the ones in a single slide.
Furthermore, you can lock objects to restrict their movement while printing, editing, or sharing documents. If you are editing a shared document, this might be the reason why grouping isn’t possible.