Aside from messaging or sharing media, Messenger also lets you share your location with your Facebook friends. While hanging out with them or in emergencies, you can easily send your location in this messaging app in just a few steps.
Before we move on, update your Messenger to the latest version, as the steps might differ for older versions. In this article, we will discuss the kind of location we can share on Messenger on different devices.
How Does Live Location Work?
In 2017, Messenger introduced the live location feature, which can disclose users’ current location. When you share your location, it gives the recipient’s device access to your GPS location.
When you send your live location to someone, the GPS will track you wherever you go and give the recipient access to your location. The receiver can view the location for an hour from when you sent it. Once the time ends, the receiver won’t be able to see your location anymore.
This feature is available for both iOS and Android mobile phones.
How to Share Your Location in Messenger?
Live location reveals the real-time location of users. While you can easily share the location through your mobile phone, it is still not possible to share locations directly in Messenger using a PC. However, you can share the URL of the pinned location on your map. We have listed a few easy steps to follow to share your location with your messenger friends on your computer.
If you want to let your Messenger friend or the group know where you are, follow the steps below:
- Launch Messenger.
- Open the chat log where you want to share your location.
- Tap the Location icon right above the keyboard. If it’s not there, tap the Four Dots and select Location.
- Allow Messenger to use your location.
- Tap the Start Sharing Live Location button.
You can simply press the Stop Sharing Location button to stop sharing your location.
- Launch Maps on the web browser.
- Enter the location name you want to share on the Search Bar. If you can’t find the exact location, move your cursor around and long-press the place/street once you find it. Doing so will pin the location.
- On the left menu, click on the Share option.
- Select Copy Link beside the URL.
- Now, open Messenger.
- Open the chat log where you want to share the location and press Ctrl + V keys.
- Press the Enter button to send it.
How to Share Pinned Location in Messenger?
Similar to sending your live location, you can also pin a location and send it to your friends or family that you are connected with on Messenger. Here’s how to do it.
- Launch Messenger.
- Go to the chatlog where you want to share the pinned location.
- Tap the Four Dots > Location icon on the menu above the keyboard.
- Select Allow Once or Allow While Using App option to allow the Messenger to use location.
- Tap the Pin option on the right.
- Drag the map around or Search for the exact location you want to share. Tap the Done button once you have pinned the location.
- Tap the Send Location option.