Instagram’s story feature allows you to upload any type of media for up to 24 hours. You can also share posts and another person’s story to your story. This will stay as a story for as long as the original story is up.
There are a few easy ways to post someone’s story on your story on Instagram. You can do it through direct messages or from their profile.
How to Post Someone’s Story on Your Story?
If you want to post someone’s story on your story, you must also first be tagged by the person on that story. While this is the straightforward way, there are a few workarounds that you can apply.
From Direct Messages
When someone tags you on their story, you will get a Direct Message. You can then go to your Direct Messages and see a conversation with the person whose story you’re trying to post. Follow these steps to post that story to your story.
- Click on the paper messenger or paper plane icon at the top right corner.
- Tap on the conversation with the person whose story you want to post.
- Find the message that says, “x mentioned you in their story”.
- Tap on Add this to your story right on top of it.
- You will have to option to edit this story.
- Click on the Your Story or Close Friends option to publish.
From Their Profile
When you go to a person’s profile on Instagram, a red circle can appear on their profile picture when their account is public or if you follow them. This circle means that the person has uploaded a story. You can use this feature to add their story to yours if they have tagged you in their story.
You can do so by following these easy steps.
- Go to the Instagram mobile app.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon from the bottom of the screen.
- In the search bar, type in the username of the person whose story you’re trying to post.
- Go to their profile.
- Click on their profile picture.
- Click on the Add this to your story option.
- Press the Your Story or Close Friends option.
If a person has not tagged you in their story, you still have the option of screenshotting or screen recording their story to post it to yours. Screen recording will allow you to post an image as well as a video. But screenshotting will only allow you to share an image or a clip of the video.
You should be done without harming the privacy of said individuals by asking for their consent first. You can then post this to your story either from your gallery or from the Instagram app.
How to Post Someone’s Post on Your Story?
Just like stories, you can post someone’s post to your story too. You can also do this with your own posts. Note that you can only do this if the post is on a public account. Additionally, you can only do this on Instagram’s mobile app.
To post someone’s post to your story, follow these steps.
- Go to the person’s profile on Instagram.
- Go to the post you wish to share.
- Click on the paper airplane icon.
- Click on Add post to your story.
- Select either Your story or Close friends.
Will the Person Know When I Post Their Story to Mine?
If the person tagged you in their story first, they will also get a notification when you post that story to yours. If they never tagged you and you are posting their story via Screen recording, they will not get a notification. Note that they can still see it unless you hide the story from them.