A live photo is a type of photo that can be both an image and a short video with sound. These images are normally saved in HEIF format on iOS devices. So, when you post it on Instagram, it will appear as a normal photo.
You will have to change the file type to HEVC format to convert it into a video. When you post this video on Instagram, you can hear the audio as well as see the movement in the live photo. Additionally, there’s also a feature called Boomerang on Instagram that lets you upload the live shot without changing its format. However, this effect is limited to Instagram Stories only.
How to Post Live Photos on Instagram?
Before we get into the steps, make sure to update your device to the latest iOS available, as the following steps might be slightly different from the older software.
Here’s how to post a live photo on Instagram.
Step 1: Take a Live Photo
The live photo feature captures the moment a few seconds before and after the picture, so it appears as a short video. This feature is only available for iPhone 6s or later. Here’s how to take a live photo on your iPhone.
- Launch Camera.
- Tap the Down Arrow icon at the top middle.
- Select the Live icon on the third.
- Tap the On option and press the Camera button to take shots.
Step 2: Convert HEIF to HEVC
When you convert the live photo into a video, it gets saved as a two-three second video. Here’s how you can change the file type to save it as a video.
- Go to Photos.
- Select the live photo you want to post on Instagram. It should have Live Written on the top left of the image screen.
- Tap the Three-Dot icon on the top right corner.
- Select the Save as a Video option. The video gets saved on the Photos.
Step 3: Post on Instagram as Reels
When you post a single video on Instagram, it gets uploaded as a reel. Here’s how you can upload a live photo on reels on Instagram.
- Launch Instagram.
- If you want to post as Reels, tap the Plus icon on the middle bottom.
- Select the video and tap the Next button.
- Tap Next again.
- Write a caption, add tags and location, and press Share.
How to Post Live Photos on Instagram as Story?
As mentioned above, you might not need to change the file type to post a live photo as a story on Instagram. There’s an effect called Boomerang on Instagram that converts the image into a loop video where the live shot is played forward and backward. Here’s how you can upload live photos on the Instagram story in two ways.
Using Boomerang Effect
- Launch Instagram.
- Swipe the feed page to the left and tap the Recent Image icon in the bottom left corner.
- Select the live photo you want to upload. it should have an infinity icon on top of it.
- Tap the Infinity icon on the top to add the Boomerang effect.
- Press Done on the top right.
- Tap Your Story or Close Friends option to post it as a story.
Uploading the Converted File Type
- Open Instagram.
- Go to the Home page and swipe to the left.
- Swipe down and search for the live photo, now converted into a video.
- Tap on the Video and press the Your Story or Close Friends option to upload it.