Do you want to move your Google Drive files onto your PC, but you are too impatient to download each of these files? Well, this process can take a while if done manually.
Thankfully, you are in great luck! Google has given its users the option to add and sync Google Drive to their File Explorer with a single download. This method allows you to eliminate the constant hassle of downloading and uploading your Google Drive files, saving you plenty of time.
So, in this article, let us learn how to add a Google Drive to your Windows File Explorer.
How to Add Google Drive to File Explorer on Windows
It is relatively easy to add all your Google Drive files to your File Explorer. There are mainly two stages to this process. First, it will require you to download and install the Drive for Desktop application. The second stage covers where you can locate and access the Google Drive location.
So, let’s dive into following the detailed step-by-step guide.
Download and Install Drive for Desktop
- Open your preferred web browser and head over to the Google Drive for Desktop site.
- Click on the Download Drive for desktop button to start your download process.
- Open and launch the Google Drive Setup file from your download list.
- From the prompt, click on the Yes button to allow this app to make changes to your device.
- You can add the Google Drive shortcut to your Desktop and add the desktop shortcuts to Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
- Click on the Install button. The process should not take more than 2 minutes of your time.
- Now, click on the Sign In with browser button. You will be redirected to your browser, where you will be asked to choose your Google Account.
- Enter your log-in credentials, if required, and click on the Sign In button.
- After the setup is complete, click on the Close button to exit out of the dialog box.
Locate Google Drive in File Explorer
- Now, head over to your File Explorer.
- From the left-hand side panel, you should be able to see a new drive called Google Drive (G). Double-click to launch it.
- Inside the drive, you will see a My Drive icon. Double-click on this icon to open up all your Google Drive files.
- The My Drive folder includes all your uploaded files (pdfs, photos, and videos) and created Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides documents.
- To locate a specific file, navigate to the search bar on the top-right corner of your screen and type in the file name.
If you decide to open uploaded pdfs, pictures or videos, you can easily open them through your PC device. However, for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides files, it will redirect you to the Google Drive location page.
How to Edit Your Google Drive Preferences
To access and configure the Google Drive settings, you will have to go through the system tray of your Windows PC and open up Google Drive using this method. Here is how you can do it.
- Head over to the bottom-right corner of your desktop screen.
- Click on the ‘^’ symbol to open up the system tray.
- Locate and click on the Google Drive icon.
- Navigate to the top-right corner and click on the Gear icon.
- Select Preferences from the list.
- From the left panel, click on the Google Drive option. To access the settings, click on the Gear icon.
- Here, you can disconnect the account, change the driver letter, configure the upload size of Google Photos, and much more.
- Now, make the necessary changes and click on the Done button to apply the changes.
How to Add Google Drive to Your Finder on Mac
For Mac users, adding Google Drive to your device is almost identical when comparing it to the Windows setup. It uses the same link to download the Google Drive for Desktop application. The website is quick to recognize the OS system. Hence, it will automatically provide the download link suitable to your macOS system. Likewise, the installation process is also quite similar.
After the download and installation setup, you can find your Google Drive in your Finder utility window. Navigate to the left panel, and you should be able to see Google Drive there. Double-click on it, and here you can have access to all your Drive files.
How to Make Your All Google Drive Files Available Offline?
If you want to make all of your Google Drive files available offline, you can enable the Work Offline function. Here are some steps you can follow.
- Head over to your File Explorer.
- From the left panel, click on the Google Drive option.
- Right-click on the My Drive and select Offline Access from the list of options.
- Here, click on the Available Offline option from the drop-down menu.
How to Share Files Through Google Drive PC?
You can easily give out access to your Drive Folder if you know the recipient’s email addresses. Here is how you can do it.
- Open your File Explorer and head to Google Drive for Desktop.
- Now, double-click on the My Drive icon.
- Right-click on any of the files and click on the Share with Google Drive option.
- A dialog box will pop up. Enter the recipients’ email addresses to whom you want to give access.
- Finally, click on the Done button to confirm your action.